The Safeguarding Policy of the Parish of St Andrew’s, Jarrom Street
The P.C.C. of the Parish’s safeguarding policy should be read in the context of the House of Bishops’ policy statement, “Promoting a safer Church,” which the P.C.C. has adopted, and which can be found here.
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
- We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
- We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The relevant contacts for Safeguarding on the PCC and for St Andrew’s are the Parish Priest Fr Johannes Arens and the Parish Safeguarding Officer Dr Timothy Trussell. Either can be contacted here.
The Diocesan Safeguarding Team
Rachael Spiers , Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
T: 0116 261 5341 M: 0793 081 9279 Rachael.Spiers@Leicestercofe.org
Rachel Boyes, Diocesan Safeguarding Training Officer
T: 0116 261 5383 firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter Holloway, Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
T: 0116 2615241 M: 07930 887984 email@example.com
Julie Foulds, Safeguarding Team Administrator
T: 0116 261 5360 firstname.lastname@example.org