Christ teaches his disciples in Chapter 6 of Mark’s gospel to take time out to get away from the business of life, and make space for reflection, refreshment and prayer. Through travelling, spending time together, and making time to reflect on the mysteries of our salvation, we deepen our relationship with Christ as his pilgrim people.
St Andrew’s makes a number of pilgrimages to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham each year, and offers a number of opportunities for retreat and silent recollection through the year.
The next opportunities are
National Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, Monday 29th May
Special offer for St Andrew’s Regular Congregation (tickets from Fr Johannes):
- Ticket for Transport, Reserved Seat and Fish & Chips £10
- Children (under 18) go FREE
- FREE unreserved seats first come first served on the day
- Non-congregation tickets £25
Programme for the Day
- 0745 Arrive at St Andrew’s (free parking)
- 0800 Coach leaves St Andrew’s
- 1100 Coach arrives
- 1200 Mass in the Abbey Grounds (outdoor)
- 1300 Picnic in the Abbey Grounds
- 1430 Sermon
- 1500 Procession through Abbey Grounds and Village
- 1530 Benediction
- 1600 Finish and return to coach
- 1630 Coach stops for Fish & Chips
- 1900 Coach arrives at St Andrew’s
Bring with you
- Food and drink for yourself for the day
- Something to sit on (blanket or folding chair, ask Fr Johannes if you need to borrow something)
- Clothes for all weather (we are outdoors all day and the weather can be anything from hot and sunny to cold and wet)
- A small amount of pocket money if you want to buy something in the shop
What’s so special about Walsingham?
Little Walsingham is a small village in Norfolk in the east of England. It is located near the coast in an area which is both very beautiful and ancient. Walsingham has been England’s busiest place of Pilgrimage for hundreds of years, following an apparition of Our Lady in 1061. After the destruction of the Shrine during the Reformation it was re-established in 1931 and has again become a place of Pilgrimage for Christians of different denominations and backgrounds.
A lamp for our parish has been continuously burning at the Shrine for many years. Besides the official parish link people from St Andrew’s have been travelling there for decades and many here feel attached to the place. We have a Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham in the parish formed by those who regularly travel there (speak to Fr Johannes if you want to find out more). It’s a place which is soaked in prayer and unfailingly touches many of us in ways which are difficult to explain.
Parish Pilgrimage Weekend
The Parish Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham Friday 27th to Sunday 29st October 2023. If you interested to book a place please speak to Fr Johannes.